29: Patient Stories – Hashimoto’s Disease and the Thyroid Change Petition for Change
In this interview, the following topics are discussed:
* Better treatment options for thyroid disease
* Better testing for thyroid disease
* Mental challenges
* Juggling career and Hashimoto’s
* The word insignificant
* The role of T3 and biological connections
* Diagnosed at twelve years old
* Disappearing eyebrows
27: One Cancer, Two Surgeries, and 50 Biopsies
In this episode, we visit with Carla. She had thyroid cancer surgery. During the interview, we discuss:
* 50 biopsies of the first nodule
* 5 cm nodule
* Weight gain
* Support from family
26: Diagnosed With Graves’ Disease ⎪Then Thyroid Cancer
18 years ago Lorrie was diagnosed with Graves’ disease. Then, in 2017 she received a diagnosis of thyroid cancer.
In this episode we hear Lorrie describe the following:
* Papillary thyroid cancer
* Long delayed pathology results
* Graves’ disease
* Balancing Graves’ disease and a thyroid cancer diagnosis
* Emotional roller coaster of feeling optimistic and other days of sadness.
* The feelings and emotions of related to a cancer diagnosis
* Being careful about the information shared on the Internet and potential negativity
* Support network and family
* Nodule size was 1.1 cm, but with history of Graves’ disease, she decided to forego active surveillance
24: Professional Triathlete, Ironman Champion, and Facing Thyroid Cancer with Karen Smyers
In this episode, we hear Karen describe what the calls, ‘character building’ moments, including how she approached thyroid cancer in the midst of of preparing for the 2000 Olympics.
Other obstacles included a torn hamstring, being hit by a 18-wheeler, and a broken collar bone. Regardless of the obstacle, Karen was able to stay focused on and win the Pro National Ironman Championship.
At 42 and post thyroid cancer, Karen gave birth to her second child.
Listen to this episode and you will be inspired by Karen’s determination, perseverance, and approach to living life to the fullest. And, in some cases pushing boundaries and achieving what some would say not possible.