This episode details the medical approach to thyroid nodules. Topics include:
- 60% of the U.S. population has thyroid nodules
- Discovered when evaluating other neck issues such as an unrelated pain
- What happens when you are told you have a thyroid nodule?
- How to know if your thyroid nodule is cancerous?
- When is surgery done despite the nodule being benign?
- Decreasing patient anxiety with quick biopsy results
- The American Thyroid Association as a resource for patients and physicians
- A word of caution about sourcing medical information from online resources
Dr. M Regina Castro is an endocrinologist in Rochester, Minnesota and is affiliated with Mayo Clinic. She received her medical degree from Central University of Venezuela and has been in practice for more than 20 years. Dr. Castro accepts several types of health insurance, listed below. She is one of 78 doctors at Mayo Clinic who specialize in Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism. She also speaks multiple languages, including Spanish and French.